The Next Generation display numbers

Grant McDorman grant.mcdorman "at" cedara.com
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 15:41:42 +0000

The problem is that VNC, on *nix systems, will always use a display number
for access by applications. If one drops the display number for the VNC
client connections, then we'll have *two* unrelated IDs for the VNC server -
the display number, and the VNC ID, whatever that might be (port perhaps?).

In the *nix world, using display number for both the applications and the
VNC client makes sense. (Xvnc actually has three ports based on the
display number: 5800+display, 5900+display, and 6000+display. The last one
is the port used by applications to connect to the server.)

I agree it doesn't make much sense in the Windows-only world; however, when
connecting to *nix systems (from any system) it does make sense, and (in my
opinion) should not be removed.

Perhaps what we need is a way to explicitly specify the VNC port (the
580x/590x) on both the client and server. Connections to non-*nix systems
could then use that.

According to Alex K. Angelopoulos:
> OK, let's drop the word "traditional" then.
>
> Let's make it:
> "I would dearly love to see a method of dealing with display and port
> numbers which does not confuse the bejeezus out of new users."
>
> Follow-ups | /dev/null

Grant McDorman <grant.mcdorman "at" cedara.com>, Sr. Software Design Consultant
Cedara Software Corp.  <URL:http://www.cedara.com>
  (formerly I.S.G. Technologies Inc.)
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

[demime 0.97b removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]