No subject

Daugherty, William WDaugherty "at"
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 04:38:21 +0000

Well I am kind of stumped here while trying to run VNC on my Mandrake Linux
web server.  I have had several issues but I will first show you my
progression path in try to activate the VNC server with my excerpts below
the screen outputs.

First off I thought I would just try running the "vncserver".

[root "at" crichton vnc]# ./vncserver
vncserver: couldn't find "Xvnc" on your PATH.

This was strike 1 as it did not work, obviously.  So I thought to myself
since it could not find the "Xvnc" I would just execute it manually.

[root "at" crichton vnc]# ./Xvnc
Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
        If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
        and start again.

Well this was strike 2.  Like an idiot I went ahead below and removed the
file in question without first finding out what it is or does.  Bad move
normally I know.  But I was tired and I got "rm" and Enter happy.  Please
tell me I did not screw up majorly on this one.

[root "at" crichton vnc]# rm /tmp/.X0-lock
rm: remove `/tmp/.X0-lock'? y
[root "at" crichton vnc]# ./Xvnc
_XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running

Fatal server error:
Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't already
[root "at" crichton vnc]#

 Finally I have been lead to stike 3 and I am very tired so I am turning to
the mailing list for a hint/clue.  According to what I can make of this last
error message it is telling me that I cannot intiate VNC if I already have
an X server running on the box.  If my interpretation is correct please let
me know.  If it is not please give me a virtual slap and point me int the
right direction by way of advice or a link to some real documentation.

I appreciate you taking the time to review my problem.

See also: