vnc performance

Charles Hines chuck.hines "at" baesystems.com
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:24:54 +0000

Morrison> Hi All,
Morrison>   First time on this alias so excuse any redundant questions.

Morrison>   We are investigating using vnc to enable our new work from home
Morrison>   model. Our department's main use is some CAD software that is
Morrison>   fairly graphic intense and we would be using through VPN. What I'm
Morrison>   looking for is tuning information and what things are the biggest
Morrison>   factors in graphics refresh. How much does the server speed affect
Morrison>   the performance vs. the client speed. How does the clients graphic
Morrison>   card play in the equation. And I assume the biggest hitter is your
Morrison>   Internet connection speed. Any advice or statistics along these
Morrison>   lines would be much appreciated.

Others have answered your questions directly, but I'd like to propose another
possible solution for you to investigate.  Since you mentioned in another
email that you're going from Solaris to Solaris (so I'm assuming X11 to X11)
and you're going through a VPN, you might get better performance with a
"straight" X11 connection over DXPC:

                          http://www.vigor.nu/dxpc/

Instead of raw graphics updates being sent, this sends a "compressed" version
of the X11 protocol so depending on the actual X11 calls happening you might
get better performance out of it than VNC.  I've had a lot of luck with it in
the past with various programs (including some CAD type ones) over slow dialup
lines.

VNC does offer other advantages, of course.  Just thought I'd offer this up as
something else to investigate.

Good luck.

Chuck

--
Charles K. Hines   <ckh "at" requesttech.com>   <chuck.hines "at" baesystems.com>
Principal Scientist at ReQuest Technologies Inc   (http://www.ReQuestTech.com/)

         "You tell him and I will smack you.  I will smack you like a
            bad bad donkey, okay!" - Pepe in 'Muppets From Space'