VNC over AppleTalk?

Jonathan Morton chromi "at"
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 22:25:47 +0000

>I would like to use VNC to connect to my old Mac (Performa 6400). I want
>to connect them using AppleTalk through the serial (printer) port.
>So here are two questions:
>1. Would the bandwidth be enough to have a
>reasonable working connection with the server running at the lowest
>resolution (I think 640x480) and 256 colors?

AppleTalk encapsulation adds an amazing overhead to normal TCP/IP
traffic.  I would be surprised if you could get anything useable
through it.  If at all possible, get Ethernet.

>2. What settings should I use in the TCP/IP and AppleTalk control panels?
>I tried to choose AppleTalk(MacIP) as the connection mode, and to manually
>assign IP addresses and and leaving

Try etc - the addresses you selected are invalid for IP.
The rest sounds vaguely sensible.

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
mail:     chromi "at"  (not for attachments)
geekcode: GCS$/E dpu(!) s:- a21 C+++ UL++ P L+++ E W+ N- o? K? w--- O-- M++$
           V? PS PE- Y+ PGP++ t- 5- X- R !tv b++ DI+++ D G e+ h+ r++ y+(*)
See also: