VNC over AppleTalk?

Vladimir Shapovalov vladimir "at"
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 21:32:04 +0000

I would like to use VNC to connect to my old Mac (Performa 6400). I want
to connect them using AppleTalk through the serial (printer) port.

So here are two questions:
1. Would the bandwidth be enough to have a
reasonable working connection with the server running at the lowest
resolution (I think 640x480) and 256 colors?

2. What settings should I use in the TCP/IP and AppleTalk control panels?

I tried to choose AppleTalk(MacIP) as the connection mode, and to manually
assign IP addresses and and leaving
the router and DNS addresses blank for the two computers, but when I try
to connect with a viewer the connection gets stalled and the viewer
prompts to kill it. Or is there an alternative way of addressing a
computer on AppleTalk? I use ChromiVNC v3.4 alpha 5 server and ATT
or VNC Thing viewer. The Server is Performa 6400/OS 8.5, the client is
Beige G3/OS 9.2.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated-
See also: