VNC over AppleTalk?

Vladimir Shapovalov vladimir "at" mercury.hec.utah.edu
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 21:32:04 +0000

Hi!
I would like to use VNC to connect to my old Mac (Performa 6400). I want
to connect them using AppleTalk through the serial (printer) port.

So here are two questions:
1. Would the bandwidth be enough to have a
reasonable working connection with the server running at the lowest
resolution (I think 640x480) and 256 colors?

2. What settings should I use in the TCP/IP and AppleTalk control panels?

I tried to choose AppleTalk(MacIP) as the connection mode, and to manually
assign IP addresses 0.0.0.1 and 0.0.0.2 and leaving
the router and DNS addresses blank for the two computers, but when I try
to connect with a viewer the connection gets stalled and the viewer
prompts to kill it. Or is there an alternative way of addressing a
computer on AppleTalk? I use ChromiVNC v3.4 alpha 5 server and ATT
or VNC Thing viewer. The Server is Performa 6400/OS 8.5, the client is
Beige G3/OS 9.2.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated-
Vladimir