vnc performance

barnowl@uronramp.net barnowl "at" uronramp.net
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 02:02:04 +0000

IF you plan on using CAD on a remote desktop you will need one MOHTER of a fast machine connected to a BIG pipe. With VNC Client speed is real not much of an issue as all the client does is reproduce pcitures and send key strokes. The Server does all the work, from doing CAD redraws to stuffing all that desktop imagery down the pipe. In this case teh biggest bottle neck will be the Server though. If you plan on more than one person using it, I would recommend an SMP box a CAD version that can use SMP. For the home ppl you will need at least ADSL to make it even worth working with.

Evan