vnc performance

Fred fma "at" doe.carleton.ca
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 22:24:45 +0000

Yep, I've used that configuration over the internet.
During the night, it might be OK to do IC layout ( I
mean after everyone has gone to bed and the
internet is free), but during the day, It's just managable
to use signal waveform viewers.  Matlab graphing is
also OK. Drawing software, I don't know, that might
be a night time thing also.  Note however that during
the day, I use tightVNC's tight encoding for its
compression, otherwise I'm not sure what would
be do-able during the day aside from pure text
sessions like telnet.

Fred

P.S.  For best speed, use the default
pixel depth of 8-bits.  Some CAD tools
require pseudocolor on the server, and I'm
not sure thre is any relation with the 8-bits.

Fred Ma
Department of Electronics
Carleton University, Mackenzie Building
1125 Colonel By Drive