vnc performance

Michael Ossmann michael.ossmann "at" alttech.com
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 23:35:31 +0000

On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 07:34:33AM -0800, Morrison Davis wrote:

>   What I'm looking for is tuning information and what things are the
>   biggest factors in graphics refresh. How much does the server speed
>   affect the performance vs. the client speed. How does the clients
>   graphic card play in the equation. And I assume the biggest hitter
>   is your Internet connection speed. Any advice or statistics along
>   these lines would be much appreciated.

Yes, the network speed is generally the weakest link for VNC
performance.  The one notable exception is the performance of the WinVNC
server if you are not using the video driver by Rudi De Vos.  See also:

  http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/faq.html#q51

The client side video card usually has very little to do with
performance.  VNC only does 2D graphics updates on the client side and
can only do them as fast as the network and server allow.

Alternative Technology, Inc.  http://www.alttech.com/