Problems with WinXP and Terminal Services

Michael Ossmann michael.ossmann "at" alttech.com
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 23:25:35 +0000

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 12:06:40PM +0100, "Beerse, Corni" wrote:

> - rsh or rlogin from unix to the terminal server with your terminal
> server account. There at the prompt you can type a command like `x11
> -display <disp>` or `X11 -display <>` or was it an other command with
> x11 or X11 as an option? I'm sure the command had a -help or --help
> option which gave all options.

Ah, I think I know what you are talking about now.  This was an optional
feature of Citrix MetaFrame 1.8 called Citrix UNIX Integration Services
(which also provided NIS integration).  Unfortunately it was
discontinued with MetaFrame XP.

> BTW: X11 needs more bandwith than Ica. I don't know how they compare
> to vnc.

My (mostly qualitative) impressions:

ICA (Citrix) is the thinnest
followed closely by AIP (Tarantella)
followed by RFB with tight encoding (TightVNC)
followed by RDP (Windows Terminal Service)
followed distantly by X11

I haven't checked out RDP 5.1 yet, but my vague impression is that it
looks and performs a lot like ICA and AIP.

Alternative Technology, Inc.  http://www.alttech.com/