Vnc and the cut and paste clipboard

"Beerse, Corné" cbeerse "at" HISCOM.NL
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:39:08 +0000

Thanks for the pointer, I should have peeked there before asking.

> Note that the problems noted in this faq are due to the fact that X
> actually has two completely different selection/clipboarding systems,
> and one of them requires the process setting the value to be a client
> of the X protocol.  But the vncviewer is a client of the RFB protocol,
> and so can't set the primary selection; it can only set the clipboard.
>
> The faq notes two solutions to the problem.  Note that autocutsel
> is a workaround for the fact that the viewer isn't an X client;
> it's an X client that supplements what vncviewer already does.

I'm in a cross platform situation: Xvnc server on unix, viewer on M$Windows.
I will find my way now I have some hints.

> So.  Bottom line, yes, you can cut and paste between apps running
> remotely inside a viewer window and those running locally outside it.
>
> :: My suggestion is if the vncviewer focus is changed, the clipboard
> :: should be copied in the same direction.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what "vncviewer focus" is.  When the mouse
> enters the vncviewer's window, the clipboard is copied
> local-to-remote.
> When the mouse leaves, the clipboard is copied remote-to-local.

You found out yourself: formaly, a window has focus if it is active,
selected and receives all mouse and keyboard events.

CBee