Locale - Solaris 2.7 and VNC

"Beerse, Corné" cbeerse "at" hiscom.nl
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 12:39:38 +0000

> I've been having several problems getting VNC up and running
> on Solaris
> 2.7.  It works fine with Solaris 2.6.  I've tracked the
> problem down to
> the locale settings, when upgrading to 2.7 I have set the
> default locale
> to the new 'Euro' locale (en_GB.ISO8859-15) rather than the old en_UK
> locale.  If at the CDE desk top I use the language option to
> en_GB I can
> run the server sucessfully.  'Otherwise when the windows
> manager starts up
> (I'm using olwm) I get a fatal error -- Could not find any
> fonts to use.
> Exiting....'.

How does olwm operate on your local display? (can you still get it working
there?)

The facts that the fonts are not found can indicate 2 things: THe fonts are
not avialable or the fonts are not in the fontpath.

Check with `xlsfonts` if the fonts are available on the local machine, using
CDE's fontpath

Then get CDE's fontpath (`xset -q`)

Provide that fontpath to vncstartup (hack the script to force it, see
comment in the script for how to do it).

Start Xvnc with the vncserver script and off you go.

> Setting the font path manually doesn't work, because I then
> find the that
> two fonts:-
>
> /usr/openwin/lib/local/iso_8859_15/X11/fonts/TrueType
> /usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/F3

That are not fonts, that are font directories but are they realy font
directories? Check the manual of `mkfontdir` for details.

> will not load (font path cannot be set error).

Do not blindly follow the lead, check you local display settings and use
that in Xvnc

> Based on this I reached the conclusion that if I set the olwm
> -basiclocale
> to en_GB.  But when I do this I start to get errors regarding
> the lack of
> certain font sets.  If I set the basic locale to en_UK then I
> just get a
> general not fonts to use error.
>
> What is it about the new fonts that vnc doesn't like?  Is
> there a way to
> force my windows manager to use the en_GB locale correctly
> even when the
> desktop is running a different locale?  Any suggestions would
> be welcomed.

If you use vncserver to start Xvnc, then the locale will be propagated from
your local login to the vnc session. However, by default, vncserver sets the
fontpath to some basic directories, commonly available on several machines.
You definitly have to customize the vncserver script if you like more than
the (antique X11) default.

Success,

CBee