VNC Manager only free for personal use

Steve Bostedor Steveb "at" tshore.com
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 14:03:57 +0000

	This thread is turning good.  ;)  It's all in good spirit.  I'm sure the *NIX
guys are saying "'common, what's all this scanner fuss about, we have NMAP!"
;)  We Windowz users like a GUI for everything.  The easier it is for us
Windows users, the more VNC is going to get adopted and taken seriously.  Each
of the authors of software like VNCScan are very nice people and I enjoy
dialog with you all.  Here is some clarity on the situation, though:
	You can speed up VNCScan by placing a smaller timeout value for the scan.  I
can scan my entire class C (local LAN) in 60 seconds by setting the timeout to
1.  Your times will be less if you don't have as many hosts that need to be
resolved.  I did modularize the scanning code to make way for multithreaded
scanning.  I was holding off on implementing this until I was more familiar
with .NET.
	I plan on releasing a version under the .NET framework that will do just that
and the way that the code is written will make it very easy.  I also want to
take into account the new IDS systems in place in most security conscious
organizations.  If I start multithreading and pounding networks with
connection attempts, it's more likely to trip the IDS systems.  Maybe I'll
make it an option that can be turned off.
	I describe it as advanced because you can do background scans and export them
to HTML, scan multiple ranges (in order or not), remembers state information
like if the computer responded on the last scan or not (this goes three levels
deep), can be set to a custom timeout based on network conditions,  and can be
invoked as an object in code; making it reusable in many ways.  Here are some
key features of VNCScan:

 	* Multiple IP ranges per scanning group (already pointed out)

	* Unlimited Grouped scans (others have this feature too - in a limited way)

	* Scans are saved in the popular Access 2000 database (great for reporting
and editing)

	* Scans can be exported to an HTML table with links to use the Java front
end

	* Can be made to operate in a "background" timed scanning mode that updates
the web page at a central location

	* Connection state is remembered between scans (next version will place
timestamps, also)

	* Browse mode allows integrated management via tabs and the java browser
interface (great for many connections at once)

	* Both global and individual command line switches (with inheritance)

	* A preview of the command line in the status bar for double checking custom
switches

	* Comments that are remembered even after a rescan

	* Each computer can be edited by hand if need be

	* Computers can be added or deleted individually (they don't need to be
collected from a scan to be managed)

	* You can view your list in Basic or detailed view.

	* You can save a group of computers to another group name. (makes it easy to
create duplicate groups that you can edit later)

	* Many more to come...

-----------------------------End of transmission