Positioning new windows...

"Beerse, Corné" cbeerse "at" hiscom.nl
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 08:47:54 +0000

> Dear VNCs,
>
> As far as I understand, the default window positioning policy
> used by VNC
> anytime an X-application is starting is to request the user
> to drag the
> window to the desired location on the screen. Is there any
> way to override
> this default behavior so that the window is displayed at the location
> requested by the application which launched the window?

No, this is not Xvnc, it is the window manager that controls the window
location. By default, vncserver starts twm, check the twm manaual pages
(`man twm`) for it's settings. If you use an other window manager, check
it's manual.

If you start Xvnc with the vncserver script, the used windowmanager is the
last command in ~/.vnc/xstartup.

If you start Xvnc from inet as described in
http://www.sourcecodecorner.com/articles/vnc/linux.asp, it is all the same
as on the local display.

CBee