Policies for VNC on Win XP

Alex K. Angelopoulos alex "at" bittnet.com
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 01:49:35 +0000

This is a note on the XP-specific side of the GP policy settings issue. Note
that it was done on a standalone XP Professional system.

I did some tests using the Policies key as the location from which I initiated
settings changes, including a logon script which was simply a message  box to
confirm when processing had reached that point. I had installed the WinVNC
service, and then used the policies settings to over-ride default port number
and allow loopback. My method was simply to use an ADM modified to run
settings through the Policies key. In other words, I moved the settings from
Software\ORL to Software\Policies\ORL.

I would typically get the message box popup 3-4 minutes after logon, which
seems to imply that local GPO processing on XP is not finished before logon.
Also, either because VNC cannot access them or because I am incorrect in my
assumption that I could "transplant" values to the Policies key, when I later
shut down and restarted the VNC service, it still had the default port setting
and loopback was disabled.

Any comments (Andrew?) appreciated... Also, if anyone has seen a reference on
writing ADM templates targeted to Win2K/XP, I would love to hear about it.  I
suspect that I need to do a few other things since my stop/restart did not
allow VNC to start with the new settings.