Tridia VNC

Steve Bostedor Steveb "at" tshore.com
Fri, 08 Mar 2002 15:00:07 +0000

Open source or not, it's still just too *@!# expensive!

-Steve Bostedor
http://www.vncscan.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Illtud Daniel [mailto:illtud.daniel "at" llgc.org.uk]
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2002 6:44 AM
To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
Subject: Re: Tridia VNC

Andrew Crowe wrote:

> I'm sure the GPL licence allows you to use the source code to make
> proprietary (closed source) or commercial products, as long as you abide by
> the terms of the agreement (eg. submitting any changes to that part of the
> source code you make to the author etc.)

Whoah there, no, no, no, you couldn't be more wrong. The GPL
isn't about Open Source, it's about Free Software, which means
that the source (or an offer to provide it) *must* accompany
any distribution of GPL'd software. You can't make closed
source products out of GPL'd code. You *can* make commercial
products from GPL'd code, but you must provide source, and the
product must be freely redistributable. See http://www.gnu.org/

> After all MacOS X is based on BSD, which is open source, and OS X is
> definatly not free or open source

The BSD licence is a different beast. The BSD licenced allows you
to make changes and not release the source, or appropriate bits
of code you like into your closed source product.

They're both "Open Source" licences, but they're different in
intent and philosophy. GPL'd stuff can't be closed off, BSD'd
stuff can. You don't want the full argument....

--
Illtud Daniel                                 illtud.daniel "at" llgc.org.uk
Uwch Ddadansoddwr Systemau                       Senior Systems Analyst