Tridia VNC

Illtud Daniel illtud.daniel "at"
Fri, 08 Mar 2002 11:19:37 +0000

Michael Ossmann wrote:
> Personally, I suspect there is a GPL violation going on here.  In fact,
> I'm fairly certain of it.  TridiaVNC (or at least components of it) are
> distributed as a part of TridiaVNC Pro.

Not having tried TridiaVNC Pro, it's hard to call. There is a
scenario in which they could be within the terms: that TVP
is simply a front-end that does the encryption tunnels &
computer selection interface (like VNC commander). In this
case it wouldn't be a derivative work, but a seperate enhancement.

see this bit of the GPL:

 In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on
 the Program with the Program (or with a work based on the Program)
 on a volume of a storage or distribution medium does not bring
 the other work under the scope of this License.

Without seeing TVP in action, I'm giving them the benefit of
the doubt. I haven't really looked into TVP's features, so
I can't say I've investigated the case.

> ...there is a
> problem with the click-through license in the TridiaVNC Pro installer.
> It removes many of the freedoms granted by the GPL for the entire piece
> of software without any exclusions for the open source components.

Now *that* should be fixed. Anyone from Tridia care to reply?

Illtud Daniel                                 illtud.daniel "at"
Uwch Ddadansoddwr Systemau                       Senior Systems Analyst
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru                  National Library of Wales
Yn siarad drosof fy hun, nid LlGC   -  Speaking personally, not for NLW
See also: