-inetd option with RH7.2

Michael Ossmann michael.ossmann "at" alttech.com
Thu, 07 Mar 2002 20:27:20 +0000

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 03:02:32AM +1100, Brian Turner wrote:
> So...my specific question is: how do I get an xdm (pref. kdm) running
> on RH 7.2, with runlevel 3 without launching an X desktop?

Oops.  I was wrong about that in my last message since prefdm launches
the display manager which in turn launches a local X server.  I think
the easiest way to get kdm (as opposed to gdm or xdm) running is to have
"KDE" in your /etc/sysconfig/desktop file.  To get xdm to not launch a
local X server, just comment out the ":0" line in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers.
I'm pretty sure the default Red Hat installation of kdm also looks at
that file.  If it doesn't work, you'll have to look for the "Xservers"
line in your kdmrc.

Alternative Technology, Inc.  http://www.alttech.com/