connect to vnc via internet

Richard Clegg RichardC "at" pcgsystems.co.uk
Thu, 07 Mar 2002 09:10:50 +0000

Is your firewall blocking the ports 5900 and 5800?  If so, you'll not be
able to talk to VNC Server from the internet.  What I would suggest is try
telnetting to port 5900 using the command 'telnet <your IP address> -5900'
without the quotes obviously and see what you get back.  If you don't get a
response at all, then the ports aren't open, and you can't talk to VNC yet.

Let us know if this is the case, cos I know how to go so far to solve this,
but there are far more experienced people who are on this mailing list.

Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: Jose Manuel Murillo [mailto:josemanuel.murillo "at" hispavista.com]
Sent: 06 March 2002 12:11
To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
Subject: connect to vnc via internet

i have install vnc server on a windows machine that is connected to internet
via usb dsl modem

i can't connect to that machine via vnc from internet. the viewer put "can't
connect to the server".

the machine use wingate proxy server to share internet connection with other
computers in my home.

 What am i doing wrong? How can i access to my computer from internet using
vnc?

Thanks.