shutdown gotcha with Win32 host

MichaelLashinsky@drugplastics.com MichaelLashinsky "at" drugplastics.com
Wed, 06 Mar 2002 18:10:26 +0000

Yes there are power cycle devices.  I have seen one that can reboot devices
remotly.  It is called a Network Power Switch and this model handles 8
devices.

Have a Good Day,

Michael L.

                      "Gabor D. Kiss"
                      <gkiss "at" telcordia.com>          To:       vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
                      Sent by:                       cc:
                      owner-vnc-list "at" uk.resea        Subject:  Re: shutdown gotcha with Win32 host
                      rch.att.com

                      03/06/2002 09:17 AM
                      Please respond to
                      vnc-list

Is there any such thing as a "power strip with an IP address" for
situations like this? If you can't do it any other way, power cycle the bad
boy remotely. This would be a very handy gadget.

Gabor

                    Seanster

                    <Seanster "at" Sea        To:
vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
                    nster.com>           cc:     (bcc: Gabor D.
Kiss/Telcordia)
                                         Subject:     Re: shutdown gotcha
with Win32 host
                    03/05/2002

                    07:07 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    vnc-list

One workaround is psshutdown.exe. It's available at sysinternals.com in
the misc utils section. You can force a reboot of a remote windows
system with it. If the machine is already in shutdown mode, you can use
pslist and pskill to find and nuke whatever it is that is holding up the
reboot process.

I use this fairly often to reboot machines when pcanywhere chokes and
won't let anyone connect.

I don't remember any good reason why vnc can't shut down last but there
was some discussion of it here a while ago.

-Sean