header for compression codec

Michael Ossmann michael.ossmann "at" alttech.com
Tue, 05 Mar 2002 21:47:41 +0000

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 08:51:31PM +0000, Jens Wagner wrote:

> The idea is to just move a .so file like codec_zlib.so into ~/.rfb,
> and have all programs (like Xvnc, WinVNC, vncviewer,...) using that
> dynamic library for (de)compression. On windows, this would be a .dll
> file of course, but it should be possible to use the same source for
> win32, unix and mac...

This is basically what Rudi De Vos is doing.  I very much want to help
out but haven't had much time to look at his code.  I started a (so far
empty) project at openvnc.sourceforge.net with this goal in mind.
Constantin, the TightVNC author, has also expressed interest, although
he doesn't have a lot of time to work in this direction.

Also, the rfbhackers list:

https://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=31889

is discussing a new version of the RFB protocol which would allow for
additional modularity (encoders, compression, encryption, etc).

Alternative Technology, Inc.  http://www.alttech.com/