CDE Display with Tight VNC

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil "at" mindwarp.smart.net
Tue, 05 Mar 2002 20:57:53 +0000

>I have a Tight VNC server running on Solaris 8 and CDE with all the defaults.
>However, when the server is viewed (using Tight VNC viewer) the menu bar at
>the bottom is crunched together horizontally.  Also, right clicking on the
>screen yields a menu with missing options.  /usr/dt/bin/Xsession is used in
>the xstartup file.  I can't seem to find the problem.  Any help would be
>greatly appreciated.

It works fine for me under very similar conditions (SPARC/Solaris 8, TightVNC).

You don't mention what geometry you're using; I'm using 1152x900 (one of the
sizes typical for Suns).  While ideally you ought to be able to use any
resolution you want (well, at least where x and y are multiples of 4, perhaps),
it's possible that CDE works best at certain resolutions (in the past, I've
used 1152x900, 1280x1024, and 1600x1200, not all via vnc).

--
ftp> get |fortune
377 I/O error: smart remark generator failed

Bogonics: the primary language inside the Beltway

mailto:rlhamil "at" mindwarp.smart.net  http://www.smart.net/~rlhamil