tightvnc vs "loose" vnc

Alex Angelopoulos alex "at" bittnet.com
Tue, 05 Mar 2002 19:52:06 +0000

One of the annoyances of VNC is what it is.

The issue goes back to the fact that implementing a central password system
for Windows systems (or a remotely changeable one) would have required all
sorts of (potentially unreliable) additions. So the same issue applies across
the board to standard VNC versions.

The one method I haven't seen explored yet - haven't even looked for it - is
using a policy file to reset the password.  That way you avoid having to
manually run a REG.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wilmes, Rusty" <RWilmes "at" facey.com>
To: <vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com>
Sent: Tuesday/2002 March 05 14.09
Subject: tightvnc vs "loose" vnc

: Hi,
:
: Our current plan is to deploy vnc server to our client 9x computers via a
: login.bat installation that will install, run registry files etc.
Currently
: it runs via the startup programs the first time but subsequently installs
as
: a service so that it's running even before the user logs in.  The reg file
: contains tweaks that disable the user's ability to shutdown the service or
: change any properties.  One of the difficulties we're having is in changing
: the passwords via a reg file on a regular basis.  So far the only way I've
: found to do this is to use an un-locked-down installation, change the
: password, export the regkey to a .reg file then run the .reg file on the
: clients via the login script.  This is due to the hashing of the password
in
: the key.
:
: This is to help our helpdesk department and techs trouble shoot desktop
: problems.  They'll connect either via the viewer or a web browser.
:
: I just downloaded the tightvnc to test.  Can anyone comment on the pro/con
: of tightvnc in the scenario above or on how to change passwords on a
regular
: basis?
:
: Thanks