VNC Security ?

Alex Angelopoulos alex "at"
Mon, 04 Mar 2002 18:47:12 +0000

What is the OS of the server? Assuming it's a Windows system, the answer is in
the documentation (although I had to have it shoved in my face before I

This is from the WinVNC server documentation page -

(1) Find this registry key on the server:

(2) Underneath it, create a DWORD value named ConnectPriority

(3) Set it to 2

The original documentation section follows -

By default, all WinVNC servers will disconnect any existing connections when
an incoming, non-shared connection is authenticated.  This behavior is
undesirable when the server machine is being used as a shared workstation by
several users or when remoting a single display to multiple clients for
viewing, as in a classroom situation.

ConnectPriority indicates what WinVNC should do when a non-shared connection
is received:
0 = Disconnect all existing connections.
1 = Don't disconnect any existing connections.
2 = Refuse the new connection.

This is a Local machine-specific setting.