winvncdrv new version available

Alex Angelopoulos alex "at"
Mon, 04 Mar 2002 15:41:46 +0000

All of which goes to underscore my astonishment that an essentially
cross-platform client and server together weigh in sizewise at about a quarter
of what typical "competitive" products do...
----- Original Message -----
From: "James ''Wez'' Weatherall" <jnw22 "at">
To: <John_Roland_Elliott "at">
Cc: "VNC-LIST" <vnc-list "at">
Sent: Monday/2002 March 04 10.24
Subject: Re: winvncdrv new version available

: The existing official version of WinVNC can only obtain hints as to changes
: to the display, which it must then verify since they sometimes overestimate
: what has changed.  Conversely, some updates (some scrolling, some console
: windows) cannot be hooked for hints, so WinVNC polls them, chewing the CPU.
: Using a display driver allows WinVNC to obtain accurate data on what has
: changed, vastly improving performance (try moving the mouse pointer with
: two different versions and the difference can be very noticable - and
: a relatively small graphical update!).
: Essentially, the display driver is the way WinVNC should have operated from
: the beginning, but since it works only on NT and could cause system
: instability, we opted for the hint route instead, which is more portable
: Win98, for example) and cannot crash the OS.  (Note that Rudi's version
: a hook driver that I've never seen crash a system, so the instability point
: is probably moot).
: Cheers,
: ---
: James "Wez" Weatherall
:           "The path to enlightenment is /usr/bin/enlightenment"
: Laboratory for Communications Engineering, Cambridge - Tel : 766513
: AT&T Labs Cambridge, UK                              - Tel : 343000