Jerry Turnbow jwt "at" slme.com
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 20:29:54 +0000

Alex - we applied the patches, ala Win95 service pack 2 to no avail.
It's interesting that this machine can control others just fine.  I
looked at the diagnostics on my network switch and noticed a high number
of CRC errors when we try to remote connect to this PC.  Changing the
cable and switch port made no difference, so I'm beginning to suspect
the NIC has a problem under the high traffic generated by VNC.  We're
replacing the NIC now to see what happens.

Thanks - I'll keep you posted so others might benefit if this turns out
to be the cure.

	- JWT

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
[mailto:owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com] On Behalf Of Alex
Angelopoulos
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 12:27 PM
To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
Subject: Re: Loading Initial Screen then disconnects

Two thoughts here.

(1) Probably not important now, but - Could you confirm that this is
happening with both the Windows and the Java viewer when connecting to
the Win95 system as a server? Sometimes there is a difference in
connection capability.

(2) Since it is Win95, it's possible that it has a problem with an
unpatched TCPIP stack. In fact, I lean more towards that as a possible
cause of the problem since you can get basic connectivity by telneting.
Obviously the server is up and running; it may just get suddenly
overwhelmed when you try to do a full VNC connection to that port.  You
may want to confirm that you have all of the Microsoft recommended
TCP/IP patches on the 95 machine.

Since it's a pain to get downloads for Win95 if you haven't tried on the
Microsoft site lately, here's a couple of things that may help (if
you're lucky you know a better way to get ot the stuff than this) - Try
http://download.microsoft.com If you use Win95 as the OS, then do a
keyword search of the archived content for TCP and QFE, you should find
the TCPIP update files and the Win95 hotfix checker (that's the QFE tool
if you're not aware of it).

I hope that's the actual source of the problem.  There ARE known issues
on unpatched Win95 with ICMP packets and weird fragmetns it may
interpret as ICMP.  There's also a huge memory leak in the original
TCPIP stack.