WinVNC server connecting automatically to clients over WAN

Barry.Boyd@steeltechnologies.com Barry.Boyd "at" steeltechnologies.com
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:27:54 +0000

The problem we are having is that the Local LAN is experiencing a lot of
Network Traffic  I Look what is going on and I see A lot of traffic being
generated between the Server and a remote client.  The only thing that was
added recently and that the two have in common is VNC.  I stopped the VNC
service on the NT server and utilization drops  to normal levels...I guess I
was wondering if there was some kind of setting that like a "Discover"
process that VNC uses when it starts or anything else that would cause this
problem.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Angelopoulos [mailto:alex "at" bittnet.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 9:44 PM
To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
Subject: Re: WinVNC server connecting automatically to clients over WAN

I may be misinterpreting what you said, but it appears you're saying
that the VNC client connections drop as soon as you stop the VNC
service.  That's expected; they are no longer connected to anything.

Does NetxXray show you the connected ports?

If not, you can go to the server and issue this command in a console
prompt:

netstat -an

this will show you all connections in numeric form.  You should see on
the lefthand side the server address listing and ports; for example, if
the server address is 192.168.1.1 you will see lines like

UDP 192.168.1.1:139 yadda-yadda
TCP 192.168.1.1:5900 yadda

Connections to port 59xx on the server  are from *live* VNC connections.
If you have connections on port 139, those are Windows clients actually
accessing fileshares over the network.  See if you are showing clients
on port 139.