Dedicated VNC server for another server

Alex Angelopoulos alex "at" bittnet.com
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 23:21:57 +0000

Michael - correct me if I'm wrong - it sounds like you're saying that in
neither case was the Tier3 system a Windows box running WinVNC and
simply exporting to the Tier 2 system.

 I am curious about how such a system could improve performance.  The
only way I could see it doing it for a Windows Tier 3 system is if the
Tier 2 server had a high-speed connection to Tier 3 and if Tier 1 was on
a slow link - then the communication transactions between Tier 2 and
Tier 3 would all happen quickly.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Ossmann" <michael.ossmann "at" alttech.com>
To: <vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com>
Sent: Tuesday/2002 January 29 16:44
Subject: Re: Dedicated VNC server for another server

: On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 12:53:30PM -0800, Edric Bulalacao wrote:
: >
: > Client(runs VNCviewer) -----> Middle Tier Server(runs VNCserver for
Main
: > Server) -----> Main Server(actual server that Client wants to
access)
: >
: > How can this be accomplished?
:
: I've done this a couple of ways, both using Xvnc on a Unix box in the
: second tier.  With a Unix server on the third tier (main server), you
: can run X applications with the display exported to Xvnc's display.
: With a Windows third tier server running Windows Terminal Services,
you
: can run rdesktop (http://www.rdesktop.org/) on the second tier
(exported
: to Xvnc's display) in full screen mode.
:
: --
: Mike Ossmann, Tarantella/UNIX Engineer/Instructor
: Alternative Technology, Inc.  http://www.alttech.com/