Problem Connecting through Linksys router

rh.ccm@juno.com rh.ccm "at" juno.com
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:49:38 +0000

Thanks Drew, Matthew and Scott.  I'm up and running, and it's cool!  (I
know you guys have been there.)  I got a direct e-mail from Scott and in
the process of responding to his questions, things started clicking.  The
following is the e-mail that I sent to him:

Scott:

Thank you for the personal reply.  Guess what?  I went back in and
started playing around with VNC to see if I could answer some of your
diagnostic questions.  I also re-configured some things in the Linksys
router setup, such as port forwarding.  I'm not sure what I did
differently, but things started working.

I tried pinging and telnetting at work using both internal and external
addresses, and I got connections.  So I tried connecting over the
Internet using the external address and that worked also.  Wow!  Things
were looking up.  Excitedly, I went over to some friends in a nearby
office and tried connecting over their fixed wireless connection.  So
far, so good.  Now for the big test.  I called home and had my daughter
try our dial-up connection, which definitely did not work before.  Yes,
it worked from home as well.  So, we are up and running.

Now I can go back in and see what happens when I turn the firewalls
(Norton and Tiny) back on.  Maybe I'll also try setting the port
forwarding to something a little less predictable than 5900.  Thank you
very much, Scott, for your help and for spurring me on to get back in
there and poke around some more.

By the way, do you know if there is a way to do file transfers through
VNC?

Randy