rerere: win98 setup

Frank Evan Perdicaro frank "at"
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:15:34 +0000

   I run TightVNC on W98 every day.

   Both ends are connected to other networks, one end to the Internet,
   the other end to a very complicated private network.

   The key idea missing in this discussion so far is one can simply
   make up a IP interface/network, and use it on the fly.  OK, I know
   this has lots of problems in practice, but careful tuning makes it

   On my Solaris box I use the PPP setup, and fixed IP addresses, to
   make up the network interface 222.223.224.  My local machine is, the remote 226.  Solaris makes this type of special
   routing easy.

   On the W98 machine, incoming PPP is setup on the modem.  The PPP
   system on W98 makes up the 226 connection, and everybody is happy.
See also: