Xvnc, xdm, and httpd (on Linux)

Lee Allen lee "at" leadtec.com
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:34:20 +0000

I am happily using Xvnc in -inetd mode on my Linux system.  It does exactly
what I want: it allows an unlimited number of users to connect without
persistence between sessions and without predefining the
users/sessions/displays.

There's just one more thing: I would like to be able to use the builtin web
server and Java client.

I realize I could run Apache on the Linux box and serve up the Java client
that way.  But it would be simpler if I could use the web server built into
Xvnc.

I have read some posts in the archive on this subject, but I don't quite
understand the solution(s) they describe.  For instance:

(begin quote)
> What I'd like to do now is be able to access the Linux box from a web
> browser, and be presented with the XDM login screen as I am in the
> previous examples. When I type in the 'http://192.168.254.10:5801', all
> I am getting is 'There was no response. The server could be down or is
> not responding...' (this is from the same Win98 box I connected from
> using the VNCviewer program above).

I have a similar set up. Make sure your Xservers file contains the
-httpd option & path to the VNC classes directory.

Eg. for me, this is in my /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers:
        -httpd /usr/local/vnc/classes
along with all the other args to run Xvnc with.
(end quote)

I don't have any entries in my Xservers file, and I don't know what such an
entry would look like.  I tried adding the arguments "-httpd
/usr/local/vnc/classes" to my inetd.conf entry, but that didn't work.  This
is hard to diagnose -- I don't have any idea how close this comes to
working.

Lee Allen
Leadtec Systems, Inc.