: Re: Connecting to multiple servers on one network

Nate Harel nharel "at" nettech-services.net
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 13:38:45 +0000

Just to let everyone know, I resolved this by setting the socket connection
on each machine relative to the port number.

So they are set as follows:

Machine A       Incoming socket 0       Port 5800/5900
Machine B       Incoming socket 1       Port 5801/5901
etc

Success.

Nate

At 1/25/2002 11:17 PM, you wrote:
>: Nate Harel <nharel "at" nettech-services.net>
>: I have a small network with several machines running Win2000. I am using a
>: Netgear router as the front end firewall and I route the ports 5800 and
>: 5900 to a specific machine running VNC server.
>:
>: However, I have several machines running the VNC server and when I am
>: travelling I want to be able to connect to these  machines in my network.
>: Not just one of them.
>:
>: I had done this once by forwarding ports 5800/5900 to machine A, 5801/5901
>: to machine B, etc.  This was on a different router. When I changed to the
>: Netgear router, I can't seem to do this any longer. The only one that
>: responds is the machine on 5800/5900. No others respond.
>
>The netgear should do that forwarding; but I do note that some
>cheap routers are incapable of it.  Some, for example, only allow
>you to forward to the same port on a machine on the private net.
>
>In which case: you should be able to get to the one machine that works
>via vnc, then run vncviewer on that machine to reach the others.  A
>horrible kludge, performance suffers, but it may serve as a workaround
>until you get the forwarding problem unsnarled.
>
>Just a thought.
>

>Wayne Throop   throopw "at" sheol.org

                 ----------------------------------
                             Nate Harel
                         NetTech Services
                           66 Carol Road
                   Needham, MA  02492-1108
                       Tel:  1-781-559-8176
                   Toll Free: 1-877-567-8936
                      FAX:  1-877-567-8936
                 Email:  nharel "at" nettech-services.net
                      www.nettech-services.net
                      www.nettech-backup.com