Connecting to multiple servers on one network

Alex Angelopoulos alex "at" bittnet.com
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 12:51:56 +0000

A couple notes on similar things I've done...

(1) "Chaining" with VNC is a dog as Wayne notes - you'd want at least
ISDN speeds and you won't be happy.

(2) Netgears will allow forwarding, but you are typically limited to a
total of 8 ports.

(3) You *have* to have the 59xx port even with the Java client, so if
you want to use the Java viewer accept that you will use 2 ports per
server.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wayne Throop" <throopw "at" sheol.org>
To: <vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com>
Cc: <throopw "at" sheol.org>
Sent: Saturday/2002 January 26 02:17
Subject: : Re: Connecting to multiple servers on one network

: : Nate Harel <nharel "at" nettech-services.net>
: : I have a small network with several machines running Win2000. I am
using a
: : Netgear router as the front end firewall and I route the ports 5800
and
: : 5900 to a specific machine running VNC server.
: :
: : However, I have several machines running the VNC server and when I
am
: : travelling I want to be able to connect to these  machines in my
network.
: : Not just one of them.
: :
: : I had done this once by forwarding ports 5800/5900 to machine A,
5801/5901
: : to machine B, etc.  This was on a different router. When I changed
to the
: : Netgear router, I can't seem to do this any longer. The only one
that
: : responds is the machine on 5800/5900. No others respond.
:
: The netgear should do that forwarding; but I do note that some
: cheap routers are incapable of it.  Some, for example, only allow
: you to forward to the same port on a machine on the private net.
:
: In which case: you should be able to get to the one machine that works
: via vnc, then run vncviewer on that machine to reach the others.  A
: horrible kludge, performance suffers, but it may serve as a workaround
: until you get the forwarding problem unsnarled.
:
: Just a thought.
:
: