starting the vncserver - be kind, i've read the FAQs

Illtud Daniel illtud.daniel "at"
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:03:10 +0000

Thanks for reading the FAQs first!

Bobby Ramirez wrote:
> # ./vncserver :13 -pn -localhost
> vncserver: couldn't find "xauth" on your PATH.

> Shouldn't "$ENV{HOME}/ be looking in / (root) for .Xauthority?
> I don't know Perl, so I don't understand the systax.

...but it's 'xauth' it can't find, not .Xauthority. xauth is a
program to manipulate the .Xauthority file.

I've no idea about Solaris 8, but on our Solaris 6 boxen, xauth
lives in /usr/X/bin. This needs to be added to root's PATH.
Or that's my best guess, anyway.

Illtud Daniel                                 illtud.daniel "at"
Uwch Ddadansoddwr Systemau                       Senior Systems Analyst
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru                  National Library of Wales
Yn siarad drosof fy hun, nid LlGC   -  Speaking personally, not for NLW
See also: