starting the vncserver - be kind, i've read the FAQs

Bobby Ramirez BobbyR "at"
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 19:52:14 +0000

# ./vncserver :13 -pn -localhost
vncserver: couldn't find "xauth" on your PATH.

Getting the above error when I try to start vnc. I am running the script as "root", on a Solaris 8 server.

This is how the .Xauthority variable looks, in it's unmodified state.

# Global variables.  You may want to configure some of these for your site.
$geometry = "1024x768";
$depth = 8;
$desktopName = "X";
$vncClasses = "/usr/local/vnc/classes";
$vncUserDir = "$ENV{HOME}/.vnc";
$xauthorityFile = "$ENV{HOME}/.Xauthority";
the installed path of vnc is /usr/local/vnc, and is in my $PATH.

Shouldn't "$ENV{HOME}/ be looking in / (root) for .Xauthority? I don't know Perl, so I don't understand the systax.

Bobby Ramirez
Information Services
Belkin Components
BobbyR "at"

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are the property
of Belkin Components and/or its affiliates, are confidential,
and are intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom this e-mail is addressed.  If you are not one
of the named recipients or otherwise have reason to believe
that you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender and delete this message immediately from your computer.
Any other use, retention, dissemination, forwarding, printing
or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
See also: