java.net.ConnectException: Connection Refused after logging in

Alex Angelopoulos alex "at" bittnet.com
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 17:32:49 +0000

!!!

This was originally going to be a post nicely suggesting that Michael was trying "voodoo networking".

Fortunately I checked before posting ;).

You DEFINITELY need to redirect port 5900.  Although the Java page is served from port 5800+display number, your actual VNC
connection is still over 5900+Display.

Running netstat while doing a VNC connection via Jagva, I discovered that the conenction to my server on 5800 was so transitory that
it was hard to detect; after that, a solid connection to 5900 was made, and sure enough on my end the owning process was my web
browser.

Thanks Michael - I learned something today.  I guess I can go home now...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Ossmann" <michael.ossmann "at" alttech.com>
To: <vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com>
Sent: Monday/2002 January 21 13:39
Subject: Re: java.net.ConnectException: Connection Refused after logging in

: On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 01:07:06AM -0700, Jon Griffith wrote:
: > I am accessing one of my servers remotely through a Linksys router that has
: > re-directed port 5800 to the internal system running VNC.  Inside my network
: > I can access this machine by typing http://server:5800 and it works
: > wonderfully.
:
: You probably need to redirect port 5900 as well.
:
: --
: Mike Ossmann, Tarantella/UNIX Engineer/Instructor
: Alternative Technology, Inc.  http://www.alttech.com/