java.net.socketException: SocketThread Failed

Network Helpme HELPME "at" des.uwm.edu
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 18:15:46 +0000

Ive look through the archives and it seems that some other people have
gotten errors similar to this, but not quite the same, so Ill post it
and see if you guys can give me a hand:

server:   win2k box running either tightvnc or standard vnc (same error
happens with both)
client:  user on a winME box directly linked to RoadRunner cable modem
(1.5mb down/ 784k up, all ports open)

she can connect to the server fine but after a few minutes of working
vnc dumps her out with the message:  java.net.socketException:
socketThread failed
she can then reconnect and after a few minutes the same thing happens

from our internal network we can use any computer to vnc to her box
(10/100 LAN) And I just vnc'd home (winXP) and then back into her box
(also using RoadRunner as my ISP) and that works fine

Any ideas as to what could be generating that message?  Thanks in
advance,

Brian Jahns
Assistant Network Administrator
Department of Enrollment Services