vncserver password not saved for reboot (Mandrake 8.0)

Lief Erickson lerickson "at"
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 19:32:47 +0000

I asked:
I am running my vncserver on a two different Linux Mandrake 8.0 boxes. I
provide a password a everything is just fine until I reboot. I can connect
with multiple clients. I can start many vncserver sessions. I can disconnect
and reconnect. I can stop my servers and restart them. When I reboot it
appears that my vncserver password is lost.

Michael Ossmann replied (in part):
The user account(s) which vncserver runs as should save the password (hashed)
from session to session in ~user/.vnc/passwd.  You might want to check and
make sure this has been created.

I reply:
There is a passwd file in /root/.vnc. There is also a hashed entry in the
file. So, I guess the question really becomes: Why can't
/etc/rc.d/init.d/vncserver read /root/.vnc/passwd at boot? (I realize that
this is probably no longer specific to VNC, but probably a UNIX question.)

Any thoughts?

See also: