Updated. Was Re: Success was Re: VNC Server setup on Linux

Dumas Patrice dumas "at" centre-cired.fr
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 16:17:13 +0000

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 11:20:41AM -0000, David Colliver wrote:
> The page has now been updated with the gdmconfig and more importantly, some
> debugging information. If anyone has any more information, or can find
> problems with the document, please let me know.

There are some confusions which aren't that bad, but which should, IMHO be
avoided

In the section about gdmconfig
  3)
  b) If running Gnome as your desktop, ...

It doesn't matter whether your desktop is gnome, kde, icewm or whatever. What
matters is whether you use xdm, kdm or gdm as display manager. Thus this should
be changed in "If running gdm as your display manager, ...".
(nb: in fact in the redhat, in the basic configuration the display manager and
the desktop are the same, as they are both set up by /etc/sysconfig/desktop or
something like that).

- some settings seems to be valid for all the configurations, but it isn't
true. For example,

2) edit 'xdm-config' and comment out the line '! DisplayManager.requestPort: 0'
(should be the last line)

hasn't any impact on the gdm settings. I think it should be made more clear. I
put here a summary of what is needed for the display managers I know:

xdm: 2) and 4)

2) edit 'xdm-config' and comment out the line '! DisplayManager.requestPort: 0'
(should be the last line)
                     a) RedHat 6.2, 7.1, 7.2 -
'/etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config'

4) edit Xaccess and uncomment the line '*        #any host can get a login
window'
                             a) RedHat 6.2, 7.1, 7.2 -' /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess'

gdm: 3) b)

I have never used kdm, but I have heard on another mailing list that for old
versions of kdm, the config files used are the same than for xdm (point 2) and
4)) and that for new kdm there is a kdmrc file, as stated in 3) a).

Changing config for applications you don't use isn't such a big deal, but I
think it may confuse things.

Last, I think it should be fine if, in addition to explaining how to set up gdm
to accept xdmcp with gdmconfig, there was also a explaination on how to do it
manualy, like

"edit /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf and in the [xdmcp] section, put "Enable=true" and
"Port=177""

It is only suggestions, now, do what you want !

Pat