Error while waiting for server message

Steve Holmes sholmes "at" mail.com
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 05:06:18 +0000

Hello group!

I am hoping someone can provide guidance with this problem.

I have two remote PCs running WinVNC as a service behind a Linksys NAT
(ports redirected) and a cable modem.  When I try to connect to either one,
it accepts the password and displays the screen as it should.

However, the connection is somehow lost within a range of 5 to 15 seconds.
During this period I am able to control the remote PC.  After another 20
seconds or so VNC Viewer closes.  (TightVNC viewer generates a dialog box
with this message "Error while waiting for server message".)  After a
certain timeout the remote PC will start accepting connections again, but I
still can't get a connection for longer than 5-15 seconds.

I can use VNC internally on the LAN without any trouble, so I suspect either
the Linksys firewall or the cable modem.  I don't know how to go about
testing though. I have other Linksys boxes in place and they all work fine.

Thanks
Steve

from Steve Holmes