Problems connecting through internet

Hotel Puesta del Sol puestasol2 "at" prodigy.net.mx
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 22:53:43 +0000

I am having a problem connecting to my vnc server from the internet. When I am
inside my local network, I am able to connect without any problems so it seems
that the application is setup correctly. In my configuration, the server is
Windows 98 SE (German) and the client is Windows XP (German).

The steps that I have taken to troubleshoot this are:

1. Verified that I have the same version of VNC running on both machines

2. Verfied that the 5900 port is not being blocked by the ISP

3. Verified that port 5900 is open on the server

4. When I reverse the server setup and make the XP box the server and the 98
box the client, I am able to connect through the internet without a problem.

5. I am not able to telnet to the server at port 5900, and I do not have any
firewall software or security software blocking it.

At this point, I think that the problem is linked to my inablity to telnet to
the machine and I would appreciate it if anyone had suggestions as to what
might be causing this.

Thank you

Harald