Success was Re: VNC Server setup on Linux

David Brodbeck DavidB "at" mail.interclean.com
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 21:40:11 +0000

I found there was a very noticable slowdown when using VNC on a 100baseT
local network if the host and client color depths didn't match.  For
example, if the host was running 8 bpp and the client was running 24 bpp,
scrolling was jerky and laggy; when I bumped the host color depth up to 24
bpp it became smooth.  This was with the server on a Linux machine, and the
client running under Windows NT.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joel Sherrill [mailto:joel.sherrill "at" OARcorp.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 3:56 PM
To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
Subject: Re: Success was Re: VNC Server setup on Linux

It might also be worth mentioning that if you are running a number of
sessions, the difference between 8 and 24 bit color depth is noticeable
on the CPU load.  I pop'ed up a single VNC client session with a
terminal
and then continuously cat'ed /etc/termcap while running top on the
console.
On a 1 Ghz machine, there was approximately 20% difference in CPU load.
I would guess that for most users 8 bit depth is more than sufficient
and seems to place less strain on the host and network.