Success was Re: VNC Server setup on Linux

Michael Ossmann michael.ossmann "at" alttech.com
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 21:35:13 +0000

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 02:55:54PM -0600, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> Also my standard test of "telnet localhost portnumber" does not
> seem to work for 177 even though it is enabled.  This is probably
> a UDP/TCP issue but that test was bogus.  VNC/XDM works now and
> I still can't telnet to that port.

Yeah, XDMCP runs on UDP/177, which is why it can't easily be secured
over SSH or tested with telnet.  You can use netcat or nmap to test for
it.

Alternative Technology, Inc.  http://www.alttech.com/