Success was Re: VNC Server setup on Linux

David Colliver david.colliver "at"
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 21:34:30 +0000

> David Colliver wrote:
> >
> > I would add that using the method on my site, there is more potential to
> > lose work. Clicking the X of your window will close VNC. No questions.
> > if your machine goes to sleep, you will lose it, same as if your network
> > fails.
> But this is the same as when using an Xterminal.
> It might also be worth mentioning that if you are running a number of
> sessions, the difference between 8 and 24 bit color depth is noticeable
> on the CPU load.  I pop'ed up a single VNC client session with a
> terminal
> and then continuously cat'ed /etc/termcap while running top on the
> console.
> On a 1 Ghz machine, there was approximately 20% difference in CPU load.
> I would guess that for most users 8 bit depth is more than sufficient
> and seems to place less strain on the host and network.

I am running 16bit colour. I had a serious problem though, seems to me like
VNC is a very high priority within windows. I left mine running all day
yesterday, then overnight. During yesterday, I lost 15 minutes on my local
clock. Overnight, I lost another 45.

I am using KDE. I had the Matrix screensaver on. It seems that this
screensaver will take many local clock ticks away from me, even though the
viewer was in the background. I also seriously noticed my sound breaking up

My local machine is a Dell Inspiron 8000, PIII 750 running ME. My linux
machine is a P150  with 96MB memory.

Would this be normal? Is it possible for future versions to be less hungry
when not in focus?

> > What I would like to know now is, is there a button or something I can
> > that will save everything, like when I press the logout on my KDE panel,
> > without logging out. Is there also a way to signal to Linux that I am
> > closing the remote session?
> That would be a nice thing to know about or have.

I suppose there could be some hacks out there that can read the source and
come up with something.

> > If someone can explain the gdmconfig on port 177 as mentioned below, I
> > happily put that up in my instructions. Unfortunately, with my limited
> > knowledge, I don't understand a word he said.
> gdmconfig is a nice GUI utility.  Run it.  There is a pane on the
> left hand side labeled "Options."  Select "Expert mode".  This
> shows a number of tabs.  Select "XDMCP".  There is a fairly
> obvious checkbox at this point that says "Enable XDMCP".

That'll be why I don't know anything about it. I can't get Gnome running on
my machine for some reason. I will try and paraphrase that for the page.
Would something like:

If running Gnome as your desktop, start gdmconfig, select Expert Mode,
ensure that Enable XDMCP is checked. (You must be logged in as root)

Is root the correct login though?

> Also my standard test of "telnet localhost portnumber" does not
> seem to work for 177 even though it is enabled.  This is probably
> a UDP/TCP issue but that test was bogus.  VNC/XDM works now and
> I still can't telnet to that port.

When I said to check the port by telnetting to it, I meant the VNC port, not
the 177.

> > Regards.
> > Dave.
> >
> > p.s. The site ( where the instructions are is
> > moved to another server within the next few days. If you cannot get
> > then try again a little while later.
> As long as it doesn't go away entirely I am happy. :)

It won't go away for a while, though I will still like articles for the site
if anyone is up to it. Mainly programming articles, but configuration
articles like this are also welcome. I can't do all the articles by myself.
My strengths are in VBScript and stuff.

See also: