vnc connection problem

Paul W. Mittan pwm115 "at" psu.edu
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 20:45:55 +0000

You made an excellent point I never thought of...  Video Driver.  It's
an older PC with integrated video, and while Win 98 was able to supply a
nice video driver, Win 2k does not.  I have an error in my device
manager because I can't find a driver that will work.  Anyone know of a
generic driver that I could use that would work with VNC???

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
[mailto:owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com] On Behalf Of Alex
Angelopoulos
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 12:19 PM
To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
Subject: Re: vnc connection problem

The thanks is a bit premature... Your settings are identical to mine,
which works perfectly.

Two other things to check at this point.  They are longer shots but are
more likely since we've eliminated a few things by verifying
that your config is plain vanilla.

(1) Are you using the default Win2K VGA driver? This can cause problems
for VNC. Try switching to SVGA at least.

(2) Check to makes sure that the WinVNC service has access to the
desktop in the services configuration.

(3) Try connecting to it using the Java viewer; see if it works.

(4) Finally. try logging to see what you get.  Here's a sample command
line that logs in fairly thorough detail:

vncviewer -logfile vnc.log  -loglevel 10  192.168.1.3

(You can set the loglevel as high as 12, but at that point you are
actually logging bytes that you read and write).