VNC Server setup on Linux

Dumas Patrice dumas "at" centre-cired.fr
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 17:26:55 +0000

Hi,

I tried to do what the instructions are about in the past, but never
succeded... I hope I will, now. Well, I tested, it works well !

> Hi all,
>
> With the recent threads on setting up VNC Server on Linux systems, I have put
> everything that Jeff Vincent said on my web site. This works for RH6.2, 7.1
> and 7.2. If anyone has setups for other systems, it would be appreciated. If
> you find anything wrong with it, can you let me know.

- I cannot find any 'vncserver.*' on my system (redhat 7.0 with some 7.1 and
7.2 packages)

- I use gdm, and not xdm nor kdm. Thus the instructions for setting up XDMCP
are different, and are, if not wrong
in gdm.conf, in the [xdmcp] section, there should be Enable=true

- to have xdm, gdm or kdm reread their config file, sending a SIGHUP should be
fine.

- I suggest you to rearrange your instruction the following way: instead of 2)
3) and 4), only one point explaining how to set up XDMCP. For example:

	3) enable XDMCP
		a) xdm, old kdm
			i) RedHat 6.2, 7.1, 7.2
			edit '/etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config' and comment out the line '!
DisplayManager.requestPort: 0' (should be the last line)
			edit /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess and uncomment the line '*        #any
host can get a login window'
		b) new kdm - edit 'kdmrc' and enable XDMCP on port 177
			i) RedHat 7.2 - '/etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc'
		c) gdm - edit gdm.conf and in the section [xdmcp] set Enable=true
			i) Redhat 7.1, 7.2 - '/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf'

(note: maybe I said a mistake, and for the new kdm, one should also change
Xaccess)

Pat