Lets bundle forces

Michael Ossmann michael.ossmann "at" alttech.com
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 17:11:43 +0000

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 01:03:54PM +0100, Rudi De Vos wrote:
> Const's TightVNC  is essential, but the tight version is not a good
> starting point.

Why is that?  Because it is not as modularized as we would like?  Is
there a better starting point, or do you think it would be best to build
a new code base from the ground up?  I'd certainly like to see as much
reuse as possible.

> Encoders should be plug-ins (client and server site).    The same for
> authentication and other stuff.

Agreed.

> Take a standard VNC (ex AT&T) and modified it to use plug-ins.  So
> everybody can work on the parts and platforms they know the best,
> encoders authentication, ssh,scaling....

I'd like to see the protocol support provided by LibVNCServer
[http://libvncserver.sourceforge.net] or something like it.  Having a
library that other projects can use would be a good thing.

> My focus is speeding up winvnc-server

Excellent.  My experience is more on the Unix side, but my focus is to
do what I can to help the emergence of a de facto standard VNC
distribution and ease the fragmentation woes.

Alternative Technology, Inc.  http://www.alttech.com/