Solaris-2-Solaris problem

Doug Fisher fisher "at" willowglen.ca
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:50:29 +0000

Is the vncserver actually running?
ps -ef | grep Xvnc

Suggest that the problem is with the permissions on two temporary files.
ls -la /tmp/.X11*

These two directories (.X11-pipe and .X11-unix) are created by the first
user to run vncserver and by default do not have permissions for other
users to access them.
This causes vncserver to die in its initialization and then, of course, the
clients can not connect.

There are some security problems with this solution but we just log in as
root and:
chmod 666 /tmp/.X11*

and then restart the vncserver
*********
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:48:34 +1100
From: Ramin Balaghi <Ramin.Balaghi "at" ericsson.com.au>
Subject: Solaris-2-Solaris problem

I'm trying to configure two unix machines (Solaris 8) so that I can use
one of them as a vnc server and the other as a vnc client.
They both are on a same subnet (no proxy or firewall between).
I have executed 'vncserver' and provided the password.
On the vnc client I get following message when I execute 'vncviewer
<hostname or ip-address>':

vncviewer: ConnectToTcpAddr: connect: Connection refused
Unable to connect to VNC server

I can telnet to the vnc server from the vnc client and (after setting
the DISPLAY) launch, for example, xterm. So I guess the X part is
working.
I've run 'vncserver' both as root and non-root user with the same
result.
Would appreciate if anybody could come with a suggestion.
Regards,
Ramin.