Providing (Windows) VNC support to clients that have strict corporate firewalls

Michael Ossmann michael.ossmann "at" alttech.com
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 20:38:27 +0000

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 02:34:16PM -0500, Chuck Renner wrote:

> There needs to be a way to change ALL Ports used by VNC, not just the ports
> it listens on.  Ports used for outgoing connections should be able to be
> changed both on the command-line, and through the GUI interface.  Since this
> isn't built-in, I had to build a small hack instead.

Most people who are concerned with firewall traversal are also concerned
about the very insecure protocol used by VNC traveling over the
Internet.  If you tunnel VNC through SSH on port 443, it solves both
problems.

Alternative Technology, Inc.  http://www.alttech.com/