disabled wallpaper feature

MichaelLashinsky@drugplastics.com MichaelLashinsky "at" drugplastics.com
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 16:11:51 +0000

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ORL\WinVNC3,
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORL\WinVNC3\Default,
HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\ORL\WinVNC3,

     I right click in the right hand pane and select "New DWord Value" then
enter "AllowProperties" to disable the properties function so my users
can't muff up the settings.  Then I repeat and enter "RemoveWallpaper".  I
leave the values for each at zero (00000000).  I do this under all three
Hives.  On the first install it is only under the Local Machine Hive.
After another restart is is in the other two and when I enter it in the
current user hive is appears in the hkey_users hive automatically.  (I
would think that last part should work the other way around, but thats how
it is for me.)  I have had mixed results with the remove wallpaper entry.
The allow properties entry always works.  It sometimes takes a few restarts
until all the registry settings percolate through to their own respective
     I have decided that I do not care all that much if the remove
wallpaper entry works, what really speeds things up seems to be reducing
the host to 256 colors!
     By the way, This discription is for Win'95.  Other versions should be
very similar.  I just feel my way through it each time I do it.  (I gotta
learn more about the registry.)

Have a Good Day,

Michael L.

                    chenks "at" tiscali.co.uk
                    Sent by:                       To:     vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
                    owner-vnc-list "at" uk.resear       cc:
                    ch.att.com                     Subject:     Re: disabled wallpaper feature

                    01/14/2002 09:30 AM
                    Please respond to
                    vnc-list

yes i saw something mentioned about the "removewallpaper" entry....  do u
know where exactly in the registry this should be... as we don't seem to
have an entry called that anywhere in there...

i wasn't sure if i was to add it then set a value to it.