WinVNC Viewer And Permissions Troubles

Adam Mikolajczyk ajm15 "at" cornell.edu
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 21:21:05 +0000

Hi All, I'm fairly new to the world of VNC. I just created an MSI installer
package for WinVNC and it's been sucessfuly deployed to my WIndows 2000
domain via active directory group policy assignment. The install worked
well, and all machines are now running the VNC Server service. I can
successfully connect to all machines without any problem. However, none of
those machines can utilize the WinVNC viewer. Clicking on the shortcut, or
the .EXE file itself produeces about a half-second of loading, then nothing
happens at all. I've double checked permissions on the shortcut, the .EXE
file itself, as well as the registry keys, and that doesn't seem to be the
problem. I'm pretty sure it is permissions related though. I've found that
if I use the "Run As" command I can execute the VNCViewer.exe as that
computer's local administrator without any problem. I've searched the
archives for any hints or tips about this problem and I've been unable to
find any mention of it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Adam Mikolajczyk
Systems Analyst, MCP
Cornell University